Main Entry: sot·to vo·ce

Pronunciation: "sä-tO-'vO-chE
Function: adverb or adjective
Etymology: Italian sottovoce, literally, under the voice
1 : under the breath : in an undertone; also : in a private manner
2 : very softly -- used as a direction in music

Monday, December 06, 2004

Blogcritics.org: beauty will be convulsive

"beauty will be convulsive or will not be at all" wrote Andre Breton. I've been reading a lot of philosophy lately, going back to my roots of the ancient Greeks and I came across a lovely little book called "On Beauty and Being Just" by Elaine Scarry. I had been thinking in lofty terms lately - notions of true Beauty and Love, all with capital letters, and wondering if such things existed, and if so, then could I still define them as I had so cockily and confidently in graduate school. Had I, at my wizened old age, become more cynical and less certain of absolutes, or was I more convinced. Scarry's book, which I use as a framework here, so if you like this, you'll enjoy Scarry (select link to read more)
Blogcritics.org: beauty will be convulsive