Main Entry: sot·to vo·ce

Pronunciation: "sä-tO-'vO-chE
Function: adverb or adjective
Etymology: Italian sottovoce, literally, under the voice
1 : under the breath : in an undertone; also : in a private manner
2 : very softly -- used as a direction in music

Monday, October 04, 2004

those things of which we do not speak

The questions which
you say mean nothing that
I know mean everything.
You tend to me the way
a lion tends to his females
always needing to know
where one is in order that
he may be with some other.

If then my hours are thus
knowing i will be suitably
occupied you are then free
to do those things which
we know you do, but that
you insist you do not do
because time does not
permit.

Such practical
matter it be, then where
I am provides guarantee
of hours unfettered, the
morning greys, blocked days
routine created, allowing
promise to take that thing
that you say is not
there, but find anyway:

You then, able to take
to some other, who,
in the hours now emptied
for she of whom
we do not speak explicitly
because to do so would
be too explicit, though
it is, of course, implicit.

You know that I know
and I know that
you know. Game in which
I am to pretend to
believe though, now,
we acknowledge a lie. Still,
my silence is tacit, as if
I created this
routine in order that
another may find another.
Fall to one and do such
things of which
we do not speak.