Main Entry: sot·to vo·ce

Pronunciation: "sä-tO-'vO-chE
Function: adverb or adjective
Etymology: Italian sottovoce, literally, under the voice
1 : under the breath : in an undertone; also : in a private manner
2 : very softly -- used as a direction in music

Monday, October 11, 2004

The devil wears Prada | a review of lauren weisberger's book

It was almost inevitable that I would pick up the books The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger.

It must be that I worked in that world, the world that they write of, which is fashion, and in particular, New York fashion. For several years, every summer I would leave my job in Boston and my university and head to Manhattan to what was, at the time for what I did, one of the most enviable jobs in the industry. I was what they called a “rover” at the dark and ominous and smoked glass and ever-so sleek and sexy 350 Madison Avenue, home of Conde Nast Publications. It was the building that held the secrets of what next year’s look was going to be. It held Vogue, Mademoiselle, GQ, not to mention almost any other magazine you can name that isn’t owned by Hearst (they own Cosmopolitan and other such publications – the ‘other’ Conde Nast in some ways, but with a different aesthetic altogether; not quite as highbrow in some ways.). >>>
more.