Main Entry: sot·to vo·ce

Pronunciation: "sä-tO-'vO-chE
Function: adverb or adjective
Etymology: Italian sottovoce, literally, under the voice
1 : under the breath : in an undertone; also : in a private manner
2 : very softly -- used as a direction in music

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

the ring | can you hear me now?

Maybe it was that it was raining heavily and the sky was slate grey and dark. Or maybe I just don’t like Mondays. I don't know. But once again, I found that I was compelled to watch The Ring –a film I've seen countless times, yet for every time I have seen it, "I looked but I didn’t see." That there are Easter Eggs buried in nanosecond film clips – those ghost images you can spot if you really look hard. These little blips of footage have the same staccato effect as a strobe – the way things seem to move haltingly, so in a way, though you see less, you see more.

I came across a review that said, pithily, "The Ring will never be more than a pretty good movie."
...

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2004/08/05/172056.php